Archive for the ‘General’ Category


The Ball in Time

December 17, 2009

Time for another update!

Over the course of the last weeks a lot of things were implemented and tweaked in order to get our project to a point where the core gameplay is finished. So we thought it would be nice to create a small video that shows the progress we made over time and share it with the rest of the world.

Enjoy watching and happy holidays!


Preproduction finished!

November 2, 2009

We’ve reached our preproduction milestone! Now the project is in the production phase, and we think it is time to introduce ourselves.

Core Team:

  • Christoph
    • Lead Programmer, Scripting,  Physics, Gamedesign
  • Dominik
    • Leveldesign, Maya Production Pipeline, Models, Gamedesign
  • Sebastian
    • Projectmanagment, Scripting, Sound, UI, Gamedesign

3rd party:

  • Christopher
    • 2D-Artist
  • Karl
    • Music

And that’s how “TheBall Game” looks at the moment:


New Week, new Tasks, new Video

October 13, 2009


Last week we had many many meetings, but there was time to develop 😉

We are proud to show you the actual version of the game in the video added to this post. The controls are now implemented and tested and we can control the avatar with a gamepad, thanks to pygame! Our Avatar changed a little bit, because of feedback we got. We also decided our Art&Style which is going to be very dark with glow-effects and transparency.

Last but not least we solved our problem with the missing artist part in our team. We  found a 2D artist who is going to produce fancy textures for TheBallGame.

Best regards

TheBallGame Team


Today’s work

October 6, 2009

Today we worked on the look and feel of the game.  At the moment we are thinking about a dark look with reflection and glow effects. We also managed to generate PhysX bodies out of our Maya/Egg-Files so the avatar is now colliding with the track! To give you a preview of the style we recorded a new video for you.



October 5, 2009

This video is showing the latest version of TheBallPrototype. The prototype was created with a custom engine and used game mechanics which are going to be replaced in the final version.


Planning the Menu Structure

October 4, 2009

At the end of the last week we planned the menu structure of the game. We already knew what we want to have in the game. A training mode so that the players can learn the game mechanics. A Timeattack mode to have the possibility playing the game alone. But the main point of our game is a local split screen multiplayer.

TheBall_MenuStructureThis is the first layout of the games menu structure.


What has been done so far …

October 2, 2009

The Idea to this game started nearly a year ago. We had to collect some game ideas and then build a prototype last term. Our Prototype used a self made graphics engine. We lost a lot of time programming this engine. Now we decided to use a real game engine. After a week of discussions we chose Panda3D because it fits best to our game style and has a lot of useful features.

TheBallPrototype Singleplayer Screenshot

This week we start to use Panda3D and test all elements we want to use in our game. So far we could every thing we wanted, but it took us  a while to get everything up and running. It’s not always so easy like it seems to be. We have nearly completed our test list this week.